Evaluation of my motion graphics
For our motion graphics work, I had to come up with a title sequence for a television show or a film. I decided to create one for my factual work that we are doing with Helen. I started off by looking at different motion graphic examples, and finally came up with an idea. I took a few weeks putting it together, stumbling on certain bits at certain points, but finally finishing it. Although it looked good in the project file, the actual render itself seemed to have visually messed up my smoke animation, which disheartened me as I had made it look pretty good in the project in my mind.
What I had wanted to achieve, was not an ambitious and over the top piece of work. I wanted something that could be useable, and realistic for a small budget documentary/promotional product. I wanted to make it look nice and catchy, and tie it in to the relevant topic. In the research aspect of my work, I had looked into different styles and themes. I finally decided, after having a little bit of experience with it before, to use Particle World. I spent some of my time getting more used to it, playing around with the effect. I tried to recreate some motion and finally steam. When I started on the project, I adapted it from being simply the screen filling up with the life-like looking steam, to an actual train and having the steam emit from it. I did not go over the top with this either. I used a simple image, but I tried to apply it effectively. I suddenly realised I had no carriages, and I decided to make it as though the train had pulled the titles themselves into the frame. This worked well and I did a little short modification to one of them, to give the impression of it bumping into the other title. I finally applied a background and completed my work, although the render seems to have messed the steam I had worked on up. I have rendered numerous times and finally decided to leave it as it is regrettably.
When it came to the screening I had no choice but to use the render I had. Personally I did not like to watch my own work, and felt disappointed in it. I feel it could have been a lot better and so now probably will not use it in my actual final factual product. I did however get feedback, which was mixed, although mostly negative. Many of the common comments about it were that the titles right at the end were not well done. Most people criticised how they seemed to be of inappropriate colour, and should have been black, white or as one person said, red. I feel they were the right colour for this as green is typically associated with Halloween. I did feel though that the background was out of place. One person said that the background could have related more to what the factual related to, so for instance the use of pictures from the place the documentary will be based around. The reaction to my techniques wasn’t too bad; in fact one or two did like the steam, although it had rendered badly from what was in the project file, and another comment stated on how they liked the play around with the title bumping into the other title. One person did say they liked the audio that had been applied to my graphics, although personally I don’t like the audio too much, and felt I could have done better with it.
I feel the comments are about right to hat my own criticisms of the product is. I feel they were right to criticise the points they did, but I was happy for soe of the praise in one or two comments. The little play around with the titles at the end for instance, and at least I know the audio was heading in the right direction for what the audience were hoping for, though not perfect. Looking back, there is one or two things which may help me in the past that were outlined. Many thought it was of a good length for a simple promotional feature, and overall most people seemed to like the steam effect, although it had not rendered properly for the screening. This makes me pleased as even though it wasn’t how it was in the project file, they responded well and one or two people really liked the steam I created with the Particle World effect. I am glad as this was the main technique I had looked into and played with.
If I had to redo this, quite simply I would do more research into another topic and style. I feel this isn’t a strong piece of work, and possibly just grazed a pass. I could be wrong, but I am my own critic and for me, I am not satisfied with what I came up with. I feel I should have dedicated more time into it, and possibly tried to experiment more than I did with my advantage of home use of After Effects. Although I am disappointed with outcome, I can pull the fact that this is a learning curve for me. The one thing I will take away is how important it is to do more play arounds in After Effects. I felt at one point it was wasting the time I could be getting on with the project, but looking back, I wish I had practiced more and with different techniques. The next assignment in this project, I may look toward a schedule of research, practice and planning, and finally creating the product, thus making the product more satisfying in the end.